clive

clive

Thursday 20 August 2015

An unfortunate series of events

It has been quite some time since my last report, this has been due to missing the third round at Down Ampney airfield because of a pre-booked holiday, after this event was scheduled as a late replacement for Rally Midlands.

Andrew O'Hanlon won at Down Ampney
Well done to Andrew O'Hanlon for claiming maximum points, and now has taken the lead in the championship with three scores. Quite a lot of the Minis failed to finish so it did not affect me too badly, and I still lie 2nd in the championship.

The next round at Sweet Lamb was due to run at the beginning of August but was cancelled. This was disappointing as I was looking forward to getting back out in the car.

This lack of events has not stopped the work on the car though, with the car converted to gravel spec - raising the ride height, and a change of sump guard etc. I had also fitted underfloor guards, these are fibreglass floorpans that bolt onto the underside of the floor. These, I had fitted to try and protect the damage sustained when being used on the gravel stages, and with an eye on the car being more robust for Rally GB later in the year. BL Motorsport had made these for me several years ago when I was building Charlie ( White and Black Cooper S ), but it has taken me this long to get around to fitting them.

With Sweet lamb being cancelled all this work was completed in vain - so it was back to tarmac spec.

I had needed to change the gearbox after our last rally, due to it jumping out of 4th gear, but had elected to leave until after the Sweet Lamb stages. With the event not running I took the engine and gearbox out of the car, and replaced the 'box with one that I had rebuilt. There had been a change of differential to a Salisbury limited slip diff and a change of final drive from 4.3 to a 4.1. This was changed as the 8-port has more pulling power, and will be able to make use of it. 

The underfloor guards have been left on but should not be needed with the next event, the Manx Rally in September, running on tarmac.

Jobs left to do are new front discs and pads. as the front pads will need to be 'as new' for the Manx. I hope with the break that I will find time to work on Bernard too (my original grey/White Cooper S ).




No comments:

Post a Comment